Wednesday, January 28, 2004

finding love and coming down

I found love today...

I walked slowly down an unfamiliar street, stepping lightly on veined sidewalks and letting a hot breeze over my arms and in to fill my mouth.

I saw love sitting on a bench that flanked a dirty street. Its figure was not what I expected, but somehow I had a subconscious recognition, a flare of synaptic recollection as I finally fell upon it.

To my surprise, love wore a simple smock and when I approached spoke in a plain if not raspy voice. I thanked love for finally finding me, or stopping long enough for me to stumble to its feet. Love spoke monotone and gave me a simple word of advice;

If you truly love something,
love something so thoroughly that without it your heart would wilt; then you must let it go...

If what you love then comes back to you,
on hands and knees, and reeking of a twisted world,
beaten by its own vice and haunted daily by whim and avarice, then you probably didn't want it to begin with, and then you can live forever without nurturing the unlovable...

I fought back an acidic tear, and a cough from a dry and constricted throat. Love was a contemptuous mistress, and I had only begun to hear its sonorous sighs.

Nonetheless, I asked love for walk, and I steadied with my hand in its shriveled little paw. We walk past sad couples, kissing couples, broken and lonely couples. Everyone was jealous of my companion, but I could care less. Love was being a bitch today anyway.

No comments: